Here at The DogSmith Training Center we have taken what we believe is a very different and unique approach to the pet industry learning experience. Our programs are designed to support you in a more focused approach whether you are launching a new career or become certified to offer a new line of services to your existing business. The DogSmith curriculum is based on the natural behaviors of dogs and their ability to learn using scientifically applied force-free learning theories.
The DogSmith focuses on the theory of dog training, operant and respondent conditioning and the necessary mechanical sills to be a great dog trainer and/or dog behavior consultant. Our pet care modules are second to none and you will receive a solid education in all things pet care and the necessary skills required to “talk Dog”.
You will also receive unlimited support through phone calls, emails, student virtual classrooms and much more. Our goal is for you to succeed and have a productive educational experience so you are successful with the launch of your DogSmith license.
Learn more about The DogSmith sister company, DogNostics Career College. Each of our DogSmiths has experienced the quality education and unrivaled support and mentoring through the programs offered in dog training and behavior.
Dog Training & Behavior Tool-Kits
302. Canine Behavior & Social Communication - Learn the language of dogs. Understand the canine social behavior and communication system. Recognize distance increasing and distance decreasing behaviors. Understand social communication to be a behavior. Learn about affiliate and agonistic communication and passive and active appeasement behaviors. Understand dog bite inhibition and bite thresholds
303. Learning Theory – Operant Conditioning - This module covers the science of operant conditioning and the physiology of operant conditioning and its use and application in dog training. It reviews the operant quadrants looking in depth at each quadrant and how as a dog training professional you can follow the science when introducing and managing training protocols
304. Learning Theory – Respondent Conditioning - This module covers the science of respondent conditioning. Learn and understand reflexive behaviors, how respondent conditioning takes place and its application in dog training
305. Differential Reinforcement. This module studies the principles of differential reinforcement, DRI, DRA, DRO and differential reinforcement towards a new target behavior, shaping. We will explore these reinforcement protocols as the least invasive and aversive way to build new behaviors and as the most suitable alternative to using punishment.
306. Behavior Skill Acquisition, fluency, generalization and maintenance of The Key Pet Dog Obedience Skills- Learn the key protocols of dog training. Luring, shaping, targeting and capturing. Understand the protocols for each method. Learn the key protocols of dog training. Luring, shaping, targeting and capturing. Understand the protocols for each training skill. Learn how to train and achieve each key skill so it can be reinforced and put under stimulus control, the cue systems, so they can be reliably elicited. To see the list of skills covered review each of the programs.This module also covers discrimination training and the skills for transferring stimulus control with each of the key dog training skills
308. Reinforcers and Reinforcement Schedules - A study of primary and secondary reinforcers, how they differ, when each is most effective and when they are most appropriate. Learn about the different reinforcement schedules and at what point in behavior acquisition they are most effective
309. Counter Conditioning & Desensitization Protocols - Understand how to construct counter conditioning programs and develop desensitization hierarchies to resolve common behavioral problems that are involuntarily elicited.
310. Conducting a Functional Assessment - Learn how to conduct a functional assessment by developing skills that ensure you can manage an informant interview, observe and measure problematic behavior and if necessary conduct a functional analysis. Understand the importance of this key tool and its place in professional behavior change programs
311. Private Training Consultations - Learn the necessary skills to conduct effective private training consultations that build consensus around agreed upon behavior goals. This module covers communication skills, building consensus skills and achieving client commitment and compliance
312. Teaching Others to Teach - Much of a professional dog trainer’s role is teaching clients how to train their dogs. Teaching others to teach is an important skill. This module teaches one-on-one and group training skills. Make your training sessions empowering, fun, safe and effective learning environments. Learn how to break down skills and dissect your knowledge into a format that clients can understand and act on
313. Conducting Group Classes - This module focuses on how to plan, manage and execute safe, productive and fun group training classes
314. Understanding Dog Aggression & Dog Reactivity - This Dog Aggression Tool-Kit focuses on canine aggression, understanding the different types of aggression and how to build behavior change programs to resolve aggressive behavior
315. Understanding Resource Guarding - Resource guarding is a natural but troublesome canine behavior. Understand and identify the different types of resource guarding problems and when operant, respondent or a combination of both protocols is the most suitable protocol to effect a change in behavior
101. Successful Product Management - Learn how to price your services and products so you can effectively position your business within your market place.
102. Marketing - Learn how to position your services and products to attract new clients. Developing a small business marketing plan is an essential skill for the success of a small business.
103. Small Business Selling Skills - Learn how to generate prospective clients and convert them into lifelong clients using sales processes that are fun and easy to implement. No hard skill training skills required, fun all the way.
104. Public Relations - Learn how to use this credible and effective marketing tool to generate customer awareness for your small business. This is one component of the marketing tool-kit overlooked by many small business owners.
105. Social Media Skills & Client Communication - Understand what each social media tool does and what it cannot do; develop easy and manageable processes to keep your customers informed of your business activities and develop a loyal community
106. Business Liability & Professional Ethics -Learn how to operate your business with transparency and professional integrity complying with PPG’s code of ethics. This presentation covers everything from ethics to professional competence to your businesses exposure in our litigious society
Pet Care Tool-Kits
202. Canine & Feline Health and Handling - Learn about canine and feline common health issues, vaccination protocols and important daily and emergency handling skills
203. Pet First Aid and Emergency Protocols - This is a very detailed module and covers in depth the many potential emergency situations you may, through first aid, need to manage prior to a pet in your care being attended to by a veterinarian
204. Caring For Pets, Protocols & Procedures - Learn how to observe, monitor and care for pets you are responsible for. This module covers the operational procedures, protocols and business tools needed to implement a selection of pet care services.
205. Pet Care Tools, Equipment, Toys & Supplies - A study of the pet care tools, equipment, supplies and toys that are available in today’s marketplace. This module also covers business forms and tools you will need to professionally care for pets if you are studying the dog walking or pet care certificate. Learn how to identify appropriate equipment and how to use it safely
401. The DogSmith Brand Standard Manual. Learn all about The DogSmith brand standards, the key concepts behind our successful brand. This module covers everything from the use of our logo to our non-negotiable pet care principles.
402. The DogSmith Marketing Plan. Marketing is a continuous, sequential process through which business owners plan, research, implement, control, and evaluate activities designed to satisfy customer’s needs and wants and achieving their organization’s financial objectives. Learn the DogSmith way of marketing and participate in accountability calls and follow up sessions