How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. You will attend any puppy or basic training class for at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you'll get an application to send to AKC for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC Puppy S.T.A.R. Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you'll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
) A beautiful, frame-able certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC ) AKC Puppy Handbook, a valuable resource ) Discount to enroll in AKC Companion Animal Recovery Corporation, a 24-hour recovery service ) Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter
Contact your local DogSmith and learn when the next Puppy Star Training Program is commencing.
1. Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner!s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN
TEST BEHAVIORS ®
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure 17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called 19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented
15-ft away 20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you!ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including house training, chewing, and the most e,effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC Canine Good Citizen Program.